Tuesday 16 December 2008

Christmas Markets

This photo was sent to me as a Christmas card and it took my mind back to my years of working in Europe.

Christmas in Germany, Switzerland and Austria was a wonderful experience.  The superb Christmas markets where you could buy all your food for the festive season, plus of course gifts for everyone.

Traditions were far more marked than they are here and Christmas Eve was the time to put up the tree which would be adorned with real candles.  I can understand why they've been banned I suppose, but seeing a Christmas tree lit by candlelight is a true joy.

We opened our presents on Christmas Eve too and Christmas Day was the day for food, food and more food.  Goose was a favourite rather than turkey and, to this day, I do enjoy goose for my Christmas meal.

The Europeans don't seem to over-hype Christmas or over decorate, it's all rather subtle and gentle.

Such treasured memories. 

No comments: