Friday 19 December 2008

Mince Pies

Doesn't that mince pie just look delicious?  Mouthwatering and the pastry, looking so crumbly and light, will surely melt in your mouth within seconds.

No, it's not a photo of my home baking - how I wish it was!  I've been struggling to buy a quality mince meat to bake my own, but yesterday I finally decided to make my own.

Emptying the contents of the baking cupboard it was a surprise to find plenty sultanas, raisins and cherries. Complimented by ground almonds and various spices the fruit was put in a pan and warmed thoroughly using generous tots of rum, amaretto, port and anything else to hand.  This was then cooled and put into the fridge in a covered bowl.  I've stirred it today and added more booze and have to admit, my fridge smells rather festive.  Overpoweringly festive, but at least I'm doing my best to get into the spirit of things (excuse the pun).

I'll leave the concoction to 'mince' ( or is it 'meat') until Sunday then do the pies. Hopefully I can manage a comparison photo with the one above, but I don't intend to 'break' more than two just to improve my photography skills as I would like to offer my New Year guests some.  So keep your fingers crossed!  


No comments: