Saturday 28 June 2008

Seasonal Breakfast Delights


This morning I felt rather sad because I grilled the last of the locally grown asparagus for two guests (the other two had the quality bacon and sausage of my local pork butcher.)  Only bought yesterday at the farm near Glamis (Eassie farm) it was the last of their asparagus crop which has only around a 6 week season.  I hadn't realised until yesterday that the time had flown so quickly.

During summer I offer guests a variety of 'specials' from local producers in addition to the regular 'specials' not on the main menu.  This year so many people have been grateful to have such an exotic choice as grilled asparagus (which I serve with a side dish of chilled lemon butter) that I think Eassie farm ought to offer me shares in their business!  Although I've suggested some tasty Belfast ham along with the asparagus I've had no takers, but I shan't tell Belfast as I've no wish to offend their ham.

Forgive me if the photograph is not one of my own but I didn't have time this morning to take photographs.  I believe this photo is the nearest to the reality of mine.  

On a cooking note, I've been a consummate eater of asparagus for so many years I can't quite remember.  I've had the inedible, the tough, the cremated, the average and the best.  The best, in my opinion, is grilled.  On the BBQ just a minute either side is fine. For breakfasts and certain foods I use a Foreman grill and 2 or 3 minutes inside that machine, after the bottom inch is chopped off and the remainder washed, is just perfection.  Gourmet food indeed!

No comments: