Saturday 26 July 2008

Clunie Loch near Blairgowrie, Perthshire

Had a few hours free yesterday afternoon having completed all the work required for the bed and breakfast, so decided to go for a short walk.  A ten minute drive took me to the Loch of the Lowes, which has been famous for nesting ospreys since the late 1060s, but it was very busy so I decided to drive round  the other side and make my way back via Clunie Loch (doing more or less a circle from Blairgowrie).  

Clunie Loch is charming.  It's a small loch, although trout fishing is permitted, but it's just the right size for a short walk.  I parked by the church and strolled round enjoying the peace and the lapping of the water on a warm summer afternoon.  'Clunie' means 'meadow' in Gaelic I was told today by a friend and I would agree it is in a meadow-like setting.

When I returned to the car a party of cyclists arrived.  They had been practising for a big competition and decided to relax there for an hour before continuing their gruelling training.  Most set off round the loch with gusto although some sensible ones (in my opinion anyway!) sat at the edge of the water and enjoyed the calmness.

My apologies for taking the photograph too far away but I assure you the loch is there!  Just a slither of it shows about two-thirds of the way down right of centre.




No comments: