Thursday 24 July 2008

Scottish Boys Golf Championship, Blairgowrie Golf Club

It's been such a pleasant week.  Not only has the weather improved beyond belief, we've been basking in sunshine with temperatures well over 20 degrees.  My guests have all been excellent company and I do hope they've enjoyed staying as much as I've enjoyed having them in my home.

The photograph is of James Hendrick who is competing in the 47th Scottish Boys Golf Championship which is taking place at Blairgowrie Golf Club this week and he's been well up the rankings.  James was accompanied by his Dad and I've learned a great deal about the really tough competition there is around for youngsters like James to 'make it' in a sport such as golf.  The odds are unbelievably high but so are the rewards although I'm not sure it's reward that motivates James.  An intense love of the game seems to be his reason for getting up in the mornings plus a natural ability to hit the ball well.

This particular competition is open to boys under the age of 18 and this will be the last one James is able to enter as his eighteenth birthday is not far away.  His Dad was explaining to me the next steps in James' golfing career and it's quite a leap.  I do admire the parents and families of young people who enter this type of popular sport with the intention of making it their career.  The support and care parents give is quite remarkable (and that's without making comment about the financial support required).

So James, you'll be playing your final round and I wish you all the very best  You're a lovely lad with a most pleasant personality and I'm sure you'll go far.  Do wish you'd eat a good breakfast though!

For those of you reading this - golf isn't just for experts and people who luckily have the natural ability for the sport.  Anyone can play. In this area of Scotland there are so many courses to choose from that we're very spoilt for choice.  (I say anyone can play - unfortunately I'm one of these people who couldn't hit a ball even if it was the size of a melon!)

James has given his permission for his name and photograph to be used in this wee story.

No comments: