Friday 4 July 2008

Scone Palace Annual Game Fair


Another lovely day of sunshine!  The weather forecasters have certainly been wrong this week.  The predictions of rain and heavy showers just haven't materialised and we have had lovely warm weather.  This weekend (today, tomorrow and Sunday) is the annual Game Fair at Scone Palace.  It is attended by thousands, lots of whom are from the farming and agriculture communities.  So much to see and do it's no wonder it lasts three days.

I'm not going this year but I was there 2 years ago.  The final day (Sunday) was my choice and, you've guessed it, it rained.  Walking in wellies isn't something I do regularly, or even non-regularly, but it was a challenge which was certainly worth it. Everyone seemed to just ignore the weather and get on with the fun.  That kind of attitude is infectious and, truth be told, I had a wonderful day.

It's another warm, sunny summer evening right now and I await the company of my lovely Irish friends who visit regularly.  Both the men are gamekeepers, one now retired, although his hobby of fly fishing is now his full time job, (according to his wife).  They have never missed a Game Fair for many years.  The forecast is decent weather for tomorrow and Sunday and I sincerely hope the professionals are right this time.

No comments: